Municipality of the District of St. Mary's
8296 Hwy #7
P.O. Box 296 Sherbrooke,
Nova Scotia, B0J 3CO
Telephone: (902) 522-2049
Fax: (902) 522-2309
The Municipality of the District of St. Mary's
Please note, cell coverage with many carriers is down province wide. This is effecting other services as well. Our local Emergency Measures Officer is aware of this issue, and working to gather information. We will share any updates as they become available to us.
No cancellations at this time.
Municipality of the District of St. Mary's Red Cross Swimming Lessons
Liscombe Lodge July 10th-21st & August 14th-25th
Registration form can be downloaded here: St. Marys Swim Classes Registration Form 2017
Red Cross Swimming Lessons at the Liscombe Lodge will cost $25.00 per participant. Families save $5 for each additional participant.
All registered children will be placed into appropriate classes. Parents will be notified of class times prior to lessons beginning.
St. Mary's Summer Day Camps
Monday-Friday: 9am-2pm (Ages 4-12)
Monday and Wednesday: 9am-12:30pm (Age 3)
Kids must bring a healthy lunch, water bottle, and proper footwear. Adequate and proper hydration/food are key. Day camps are a pop-free zone! We have added a special opportunity for 3 year old children to attend our summer day camps this year. On Monday and Wednesday's of each week, day camps will be open to 3 year old children. Drop off time will be at 9 a.m. and pick up time will be at 12:30 p.m. Children will play games, do crafts, and eat their lunch. Children must be able to use the washroom on their own to attend. July 3-7: Sherbrooke, St. Mary's Recplex, July 10-14: Port Bickerton Community Centre, July 17-21: Bethel Community Church Lochiel Lake, July 24-28: Liscomb Legion. Questions? Call (902)522-2598.
Registration form can be found here: St. Marys Summer Day Camp Registration Form 2017
Active Transportation refers to any form of human powered transportation such as walking, cycling, using a wheelchair, skateboarding or snowshoeing. The Municipality is currently working on an Active Transportation Plan to connect Old Road Hill to Hwy. 7 and Main Street. Improving accessibility will provide opportunities for safe travel for visitors and residents.
Municipal Clerk / Special Projects Coordinator
The Municipality of the District of Saint Mary's is currently seeking applications for the position of Municipal Clerk / Special Projects Coordinator. This position will provide administrative assistance to the Chief Administrative Officer in matters relative to the general management of the Municipality, specifically through project management, research, managing inquiries, correspondence, and electronic communication for the CAO and all Department Heads.
Duties of the Position include:
• Responsible for the preparation of Council and Committee agendas and information packages as well as the recording of all the proceedings of Municipal Council
• Maintain the minutes binder and official By-Law book
• Research, develop and update Policies and Bylaws as required for council approval
• Research and assist preparation of correspondence and reports for the Chief Administrative Officer to use at Council meetings, presentations, and public consultation.
• Manage and update the Nova Scotia Civic Addressing File database in conjunction with civic addressing coordinator
• Designated Officer for Records Management System as it relates to the Records Management Policy
• Provide back up to the front desk reception in absence of Receptionist/Cashier
• Manage Water Utility Quarterly billing process and provide Arrears Reports to Director of Finance
• Other duties as assigned
• Post-secondary education (Business Degree or equivalent) or a combination of relevant education and experience
• Two years' experience in a municipal government setting
• Excellent project management abilities
• Advanced computer and technology literacy
• Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion;
• Extremely strong time management, organizational skills and a strategic thinker;
This is a full time permanent position. The Salary range for this position is $30,116 - $37,645 per year, based on qualifications and demonstrated ability. Work hours are 35 hours per week, with some evenings as required for Council and Committee meetings
Application by resume and cover letter along with references will be accepted until noon on August 23, 2017
For more detailed information contact Marian Fraser, Director of Finance/Treasurer at 902-522-2339 or see description below
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted
Active Living Coordinator (Sick Leave Placement)
Position title: Active Living Coordinator (Temporary Sick Leave Placement)
(Municipal Physical Activity Leadership Program) This is a cost shared position with the Province of Nova Scotia
Reports to: Director of Community Development & Recreation
Salary Range: $28,000 - $35,000 (Annual Basis)
Working under the direction of the Director of Community Development & Recreation, the Active Living Coordinator will implement the St. Mary's Active Living Plan in accordance with the Shared Strategy for Advancing Recreation in Nova Scotia. The Active Living Coordinator will be responsible for the organization of a wide variety of programs, activities and events in St. Mary's. Duties will vary for each program and may include, but not be limited to: delivery, coordination, assisting, evaluating, supervising, promoting, scheduling as well as creating and establishing relationships with community organizations.
Terms and Conditions
- Only applicants with scheduled interviews will be notified
- Please note, this is a temporary position for the current Active Living Coordinator. The Active Living Coordinator position is a term position that ends March 31st, 2018.
- The temporary position may be terminated with two weeks' notice upon return of regular employee
- Possibility for extension to cover future leaves of absence within the Community Development and Recreation Department.
"Thank you for helping to get our messages out. Your newsletter is widely and carefully read by most residents in the District every month"
- Katherine, April 21/10
The deadline for submissions for the next issue of the Municipal Newsletter is Wednesday, June 21 at 4:00 P.M. Download a copy of 06-June 2017 Newsletter
Articles for the monthly newsletter must be received in writing by either:
Your Feedback is always Welcome!
The Municipality was successful in securing a grant under the Provincial Government's Municipal and Communtiy Rural High Speed Internet Fund. Read more about the announcement here.
Regular monthly meetings of the St. Mary's Municipal Council are held on the second Monday of every month with the exclusion of December & August.
Next Regular Meeting Agenda: Monday September 11th, 2017 at 7pm
Most Recent Approved Minutes: June 12 2017 Council Minutes
Next Committee of the Whole Meeting: Wedesnday July 19, 2017
Most recent Committee of the Whole Minutes:June 22, 2017 COTW Minutes