Periodically the municipality holds tax sales on properties that are in arrears for their taxes. Tax sales are advertised on this page, the municipal newsletter and local papers.
Upcoming Tax Sale
There are no tax sales scheduled at this time.
Tax sales are a public auction with the successful bid being the highest bid at or above the advertised price. The price advertised is the total of all outstanding taxes, penalties, interest and tax sale costs. Bidding begins at the advertised price and properties will be sold in the same order they are shown on the advertisement.
Successful bidders must pay the advertised price immediately following the sale of each property. Bidders cannot leave the building to obtain payment.
Payment must be made by way of cash, certified cheque, money order or debit. Bidders are reminded to ensure daily debit limits on their bank accounts are considered and adjusted prior to attending the tax sale. The balance of the bid, if any, must be paid within three (3) days of the tax sale by cash, certified cheque, money order or debit.
All bids and payments are to be made in Canadian funds.
Properties and Procedures
- Any property may be paid in full up to the day of the sale and removed from the tax sale.
- All properties may or may not be subject to a six (6) month redemption period, which is stated on the advertisement and at time of sale.
- Redemption means that a property owner has six (6) months to redeem/ reclaim their property. If property does get redeemed, the purchaser is reimbursed all monies that they paid to purchase the property plus interest.
- If a property is purchased and it is subject to the six month redemption period, the purchaser cannot do anything to the property. For example woodland cannot be logged and vacant lots cannot be built upon.
- If a property is not redeemed the purchaser may proceed with obtaining a Tax Sale Deed.
- The Municipality DOES NOT survey any of the tax sale properties. The property may or may not be migrated.
- The cost to prepare and register the tax deed is the responsibility of the purchaser and is not included in the tax sale costs. A certificate of sale will be provided and registered by the Municipality within 10 days of the sale.
- Take notice that tax sales do not in all circumstances clear up defects in title. A tax deed conveys only the interest of the assessed owners, whatever their interest may be.
- If you are intending to clear up defects in the title of the property by way of tax sale, you are advised to obtain a legal opinion.
- The Municipality of St. Mary’s makes no representation or warranties to any purchases regarding the fitness, geophysical or environmental suitability of the land(s) offered for sale for any particular use and are being sold on an “as is” basis only.
- Tax sale properties are not migrated at the time of the sale.
- All bids and payments are to be made in Canadian funds.
- Bids are to be clearly communicated verbally in dollar figures by an individual present at the tax sale
- Property will be sold to the highest bidder.
- Vacant land (s) and commercial properties are subject to HST charges. Purchaser will be required to provide HST Registration Number at the time of the sale, if they have one.
- Tax sale deeds are not subject to deed transfer Tax.
- Municipal council members and employees are not permitted to purchase property at a tax sale. Nor are their spouses, or companies in which they or their spouses own the majority shares permitted to purchase property at a tax sale. This includes purchasing the property either directly or through an agent.
- Property auction (properties not previously sold at tax sale) takes place directly following the regular tax sale. In accordance with section 143 (4) of the Municipal Government Act.The reserve bid is as advertised and the same conditions apply as in regular tax sale. Bidder must be a qualified bidder, the current shareholder(s), property owner(s) or immediate family member(s) are not eligible as a qualified bidder and cannot purchase the property at the reduced price.